UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
A pair of winless squads will butt heads when the Los Angeles Chargers visit U.S. Bank Stadium to battle the Minnesota Vikings in a potential Week 3 shootout. The Chargers (0-2) fell in overtime to the Tennessee Titans last week, while the Vikings (0-2) late rally came up short in a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Minnesota Vikings vs Los Angeles Chargers – game predictions
- 1 Minnesota Vikings vs Los Angeles Chargers – game predictions
- 2 Minnesota Vikings vs Los Angeles Chargers – Can the Vikings run the ball?
- 3 Key match details
The Vikings are a 1-point home favorite with a total of 54 points. Los Angeles opened as a -2 favorite, but the line has recently moved toward the Vikings.
Prediction 1: Vikings -1 @ -110 (1.91)
Minnesota’s offense came alive last week against the Eagles with 346 passing yards but were 6-7 ATS last year as 1-point favorites or greater. Los Angeles showcases one of the league’s most productive offensive units but also has a defense surrendering 31.5 points per outing. The Chargers went 5-1 ATS as underdogs of 1 point or more last season. The Vikings won 11 of their 13 victories last year by one score, but do not have enough offensive firepower to outscore the Chargers in an anticipated high-scoring affair.
Prediction 2: Justin Jefferson Under 101.5 Receiving Yards @ -120 (1.83)
The Chargers pass defense has allowed a league-high 333 yards per game, but this metric is skewered by the 466 passing yards in Week 1 against the Dolphins’ potent air attack. Los Angeles has struggled mightily against opposing running games and has the NFL’s worst run defense by EPA. Jefferson has surpassed 150-plus yards in both games this season and has 20 receptions on 25 targets. However, the talented wideout is due for a regression, and the Vikings will want to run the ball to keep Justin Herbert and the Chargers high-octane offense on the sidelines.
Minnesota Vikings vs Los Angeles Chargers – Can the Vikings run the ball?
Minnesota acquired Cam Akers to inject life into a dormant rushing attack, averaging a league-low 34.5 yards per game. Alexander Mattison is the top rusher with 62 yards on 19 carries.
Minnesota Vikings form, news and injuries
Kirk Cousins has thrown a league-high six touchdowns and is averaging 354 passing yards per game. Jefferson and tight end T.J. Hockenson have combined for 35 catches and 410 receiving yards. The Vikings have dropped two games by a total of nine points despite rushing for less than 42 yards in both contests. Punter Ryan Wright is averaging 51.8 yards on eight punts.
Minnesota Vikings injury report
• T Christian Darrisaw (Ankle) – Questionable
• C Garrett Bradbury (Back) – Questionable
• S Josh Metellus (Shoulder) – Questionable
• LB Jordan Hicks (Shin) – Questionable
• OLB Marcus Davenport (Ankle) – Questionable
Los Angeles Chargers form, news and injuries
The Chargers fifth-ranked rushing attack has two top-16 running backs in Austin Ekeler (117) and Joshua Kelley (130). Keenan Allen is the top receiver with 187 yards and two touchdowns on 14 receptions. Safety Derwin James has tallied a team-high 13 solo tackles. Los Angeles has run a league-best 25% of their plays in the red zone in the 1st half this season.
Los Angeles Chargers injury report
• RB Austin Ekeler (Ankle) – Questionable
• LB Joey Bosa (Hamstring) – Questionable
• LB Eric Kendricks (Hamstring) – Questionable
• DL Christopher Hinton (Back) – Questionable
Minnesota Vikings vs Los Angeles Chargers head to head record
The Vikings lead the all-time series, 8-6, and have won the last three meetings:
• 2021: Vikings won 27-20 in Los Angeles
• 2019: Vikings won 39-10 in Los Angeles
• 2015: Vikings won 31-14 in Minnesota
• 2011: Chargers won 24-17 in San Diego
• 2007: Vikings won 35-17 in Minnesota
Key match details
• Date & Time: Sunday, September 24, 2023, 01:00 p.m. ET
• Venue: U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota
• Where to watch match in UK: Sky Sports (TV), fuboTV, or other live stream
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!