UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers are both 2-1, so Thursday night will be a battle for first place in the NFC North. Green Bay comes in as a rare home underdog, but we may see the most complete form of their offense yet.
Green Bay Packers vs Detroit Lions – Game predictions
- 1 Green Bay Packers vs Detroit Lions – Game predictions
- 2 Packers vs Lions preview – Is Watson the key?
- 3 Key match details
The Lions are a 1.5-point road favorite with a total of 45.5 points. The spread opened at Packers -1.5 before moving the other way against Green Bay for a third week in a row.
Prediction 1: Over 45.5 @ -115 (1.87)
Is it asking too much for an entertaining, high-scoring game in prime time this season? The Lions have scored at least 20 points in each game this season and were a top 5 offense last year. The Packers just scored 18 points in the fourth quarter against a tough Saints defense. But the reason to like the over is that Green Bay should be getting Aaron Jones and Christian Watson back healthy for the first time all season. Jordan Love will have his best cast yet, and he is an aggressive passer who should be able to put up points and maybe set up the Lions for short fields for more points with turnovers if he gets too risky. These teams played low-scoring games last year but we are going the other way this time.
Prediction 2: Sam LaPorta over 44.5 receiving yards @ -110 (1.91)
The rookie tight end is developing very well with 39, 63, and 84 yards in his three games so far. He is showing weekly improvement and scored his first touchdown last week. He has emerged as the No. 2 target in this offense behind only Amon-Ra St. Brown. Look for LaPorta to be a big player in this game too as he should clear his over again.
Green Bay Packers vs Detroit Lions odds
The Lions have -125 (1.80) odds on the moneyline, implying they have a 55.6% chance to win this game. The Packers have +105 (2.05) odds, which is a 48.8% chance of victory.
Packers vs Lions preview – Is Watson the key?
The Packers have been up and down the last two weeks, but we might start to see some offensive consistency if the skill players around Jordan Love can stay healthy.
Green Bay Packers form, news and injuries
While the Packers will still not have left tackle David Bakhtiari, barring a setback, they will have No. 1 wide receiver Christian Watson make his season debut. Aaron Jones is also trending in the right direction to return to the starting running back job. But the Packers will need to defend better in this matchup too as Detroit has playmakers at all levels.
Green Bay Packers injury report:
- WR Christian Watson (Hamstring) – Questionable
- RB Aaron Jones (Hamstring) – Questionable
- OT David Bakhtiari (Knee) – Out
- CB Jaire Alexander (Back) – Questionable
- G Elgton Jenkins (Knee (MCL) – Out
- LB De’Vondre Campbell (Ankle) – Out
- TE Tyler Davis (Knee) – Out
- CB Eric Stokes (Foot) – Out
- S Zayne Anderson (Hamstring) – Out
- OT Luke Tenuta (Ankle) – Out
- OL Zach Tom (Knee) – Questionable
- CB Carrington Valentine (Biceps) – Questionable
Detroit Lions form, news and injuries
The Lions are chugging along with a defense that has gotten off to a much better start than what the team had in Dan Campbell’s first two seasons. But the offense has not been quite as potent so far as the team tries to figure out how to use its new backfield with rookie Jahmyr Gibbs and veteran David Montgomery.
Detroit Lions injury report:
- RB David Montgomery (Thigh) – Questionable
- S C.J. Gardner-Johnson (Pectoral) – Out
- OT Taylor Decker (Ankle) – Questionable
- G Halapoulivaati Vaitai (Knee) – Out
- CB Emmanuel Moseley (Knee/Hamstring) – Questionable
- OT Matt Nelson (Ankle) – Out
- LB Julian Okwara (Arm) – Out
- FB Jason Cabinda (Knee) – Out
- G Jonah Jackson (Thigh) – Questionable
- CB Khalil Dorsey (Illness) – Out
- TE Shane Zylstra (Knee) – Out
- S Kerby Joseph (Hip) – Questionable
- DL Josh Paschal (Knee) – Out
- LB James Houston (Ankle) – Out
- QB Nate Sudfeld (Knee) – Out
- QB Hendon Hooker (Knee) – Out
Packers vs Lions head to head record
Green Bay leads the all-time series 105-75-7. Here are the results of the last 5 matchups:
- 2022: Lions 20, Packers 16 in Green Bay
- 2022: Lions 15, Packers 9 in Detroit
- 2021: Lions 37, Packers 30 in Green Bay
- 2021: Packers 35, Lions 17 in Green Bay
- 2020: Packers 31, Lions 24 in Detroit
Key match details
- Date & Time: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 08:15 p.m. ET
- Venue: Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI
- Where to watch match in UK: Sky Sports (TV), fuboTV, or other live stream
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!