UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The San Francisco 49ers can start 3-0 with a win over the New York Giants, who came back from a 21-point deficit to beat the Cardinals last week. But the Giants are a considerable underdog this Thursday night.
San Francisco 49ers vs New York Giants – Game predictions
- 1 San Francisco 49ers vs New York Giants – Game predictions
- 2 49ers vs Giants preview – What is San Francisco’s weakness?
- 3 Key match details
The 49ers are a 10.5-point home favorite with a total of 44 points. The spread opened at 49ers -9.5 before moving higher as it does not look like Saquon Barkley will play for the Giants.
Prediction 1: 49ers -10.5 @ -110 (1.91)
This feels like overthinking to consider the Giants to stay close enough in this game. The 49ers just dropped 30 points on the road in back-to-back games against better teams, and the Giants were outscored 60-0 before scoring a single point this year. The 49ers are so much better than Arizona on both sides of the ball, and Brock Purdy is so consistent in running this talented offense. Look for the 49ers to sack Daniel Jones and hold the Giants so low on the scoreboard that it won’t take much more than 30 points to cover this spread for San Francisco.
Prediction 2: George Kittle anytime touchdown scorer @ +175 (2.75)
Wide receiver Brandon Aiyuk is questionable with injury, and Chrisitan McCaffrey’s odds for scoring are comically high in this game. The value pick is George Kittle, who has not scored in his last 5 games (playoffs included), but he caught a touchdown in 4 straight games with Purdy at quarterback prior to this slump. This feels like a good game where he can be unleashed on a short week and dominate the Giants on a YAC play or something short in the red zone.
49ers vs Giants preview – What is San Francisco’s weakness?
If the 49ers had a flaw late last season, it was the uncertainty of how good rookie quarterback Brock Purdy was. But he is leading the NFL in QBR this year and looks fully healed from the elbow injury in the NFC Championship Game, his only loss as a starter so far.
San Francisco 49ers form, news and injuries
Even if Brandon Aiyuk ends up sitting this one out, this is still the most talented offense in the league right now with a great offensive line, incredible YAC receivers like Kittle and Deebo Samuel, and Christian McCaffrey has been unstoppable so far. The defense is rather great too and will have a good time facing a New York offense without Saquon and with limited receivers.
San Francisco 49ers injury report:
- WR Brandon Aiyuk (Shoulder) – Questionable
- CB Ambry Thomas (Knee) – Questionable
- WR Danny Gray (Shoulder) – Out
- CB Samuel Womack III (Knee) – Out
- CB Darrell Luter Jr. (Knee) – Out
- DL Robert Beal Jr. (Hamstring) – Out
- TE Cameron Latu (Knee) – Out
New York Giants form, news and injuries
The Giants should try unleashing Daniel Jones as a runner in this game to deal with the loss of Barkley and lack of quality receivers. His running is sometimes his best attribute, because as a dropback passer, he is going to struggle in this road matchup as left tackle Andrew Thomas is also out.
New York Giants injury report:
- RB Saquon Barkley (Ankle) – Out
- OT Andrew Thomas (Hamstring) – Out
- WR Wan’Dale Robinson (Knee) – Questionable
- ILB Jarrad Davis (Knee) – Out
- WR Cole Beasley (Quad) – Out
- C J.C. Hassenauer (Triceps) – Out
- TE Tommy Sweeney (Illness) – Out
- FB Chris Myarick (Hand) – Out
- G Ben Bredeson (Concussion) – Doubtful
- CB Aaron Robinson (Knee) – Out
- OLB Azeez Ojulari (Hamstring) – Questionable
- ILB Micah McFadden (Neck) – Questionable
- WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton (ACL) – Out
49ers vs Giants head to head record
The all-time series is tied 21-21. Here are the results of the last 5 matchups:
- 2020: 49ers 36, Giants 7 in New York
- 2018: Giants 27, 49ers 23 in San Francisco
- 2017: 49ers 31, Giants 21 in San Francisco
- 2015: Giants 30, 49ers 27 in New York
- 2014: 49ers 16, Giants 10 in New York
Key match details
- Date & Time: Thursday, September 21, 2023, 08:15 p.m. ET
- Venue: Levi’s Stadium in San Francisco, CA
- Where to watch match in UK: Sky Sports (TV), fuboTV, or other live stream
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!