UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
One Premier League pundit has questioned Tottenham’s reported anxiety to see Mauricio Pochettino return as manager of the North-London club following manager Antonio Conte’s press conference rant at the weekend.
The Italian slated the players and club in his press conference following their 3-3 draw with relegation battling Southampton and seemed to make it clear that he would be happy to quit the London club before his contract expires at the end of the season.
According to soccer outlet Football Insider, Conte’s reign at Tottenham is certainly coming to an end and the club have discussed appointing coach Ryan Mason on an interim basis until the end of the season.
One of the candidates tipped to replace the 53-year-old is former boss Pochettino reports made in the last week have indicated that contact has been made with the Argentine.
McAvennie Critical of Spurs Pochettino Nostalgia
However, football pundit Frank McAvennie has cast doubt on Spurs’ reported move for their former boss.
“Is it good to go back? Pochettino is a good manager, but I think that about Conte as well,” he told Football Insider.
“Conte is one of the elite and he has a certain way of doing things,” the former Celtic player added.
“Somebody told me that the players were asking Poch to come back. I do not think that can be right, why would you not want to play under Conte? It baffles me. The breed of footballers nowadays never cease to amaze my,” he stated.
“I just think, my god, why would you not want to learn off someone like Conte?” McAvennie said.
“I know for a fact that he has been trying to buy a centre-half and they will not give him the money. He needs to go and spend big but I do not think that will happen.“
Spurs Plan to Swoop for Napoli Defender in Summer Raid
Regardless of head coach, Tottenham are preparing to renew their pursuit of Napoli central defender Kim Min-Jae this summer, according to numerous reports made this week.
Spurs previously attempted to acquire the 26-year-old South Korean central defender, but their offers were rejected by the Serie A club.
Kim’s deal includes a £43 million release clause for two weeks in July, which could remove the decision-making authority from Napoli this summer.
This season, the Serie A leaders have allowed in only 16 league goals in 26 matches, partly due to the defensive contributions of Min-Jae.
Liverpool are also interested in Kim this summer and the Reds are willing to pay his release clause, so his summer fate will depend on the contract offers he receives.
Champions League qualifying will be crucial in convincing Kim to sign in the summer, as Tottenham and Manchester United currently hold top-four Premier League positions.
Saturday’s 3-3 draw between Spurs and relegation threatened Southampton has opened the door for Newcastle United and Liverpool to challenge Tottenham for fourth place, which could also allow them to sign the Napoli center-back in the summer.
Following the international break, Spurs will face Everton away from home. It remains to be seen if Conte will still be in charge at that point.