UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
In a closely contested match, Crystal Palace stunned Manchester United with a disciplined defensive approach, securing a 1-0 victory at Old Trafford. Joachim Andersen’s first-half goal proved decisive, as United struggled to break through Palace’s resolute defense. Sam Johnstone’s crucial saves and Palace’s clinical defending sealed a memorable away win.
Manchester United vs Crystal Palace timeline
- 1 Manchester United vs Crystal Palace timeline
- 2 Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: The star man
- 3 Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: Disappointing performance at home
- 4 Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: Impenetrable Palace!
- 5 Final Words
12’ – Near misses at both ends! Guehi’s header narrowly missed the target after a left-wing cross. In response, Hojlund chipped the ball over Johnstone, but Mitchell cleared it off the line.
25’ – Crystal Palace takes the lead with a first-half goal at Old Trafford! Andersen scores a sensational finish from Eze’s free-kick, sending away fans into jubilation.
27’ – A Dalot header down the right finds Casemiro outside the box, and his powerful shot narrowly misses the left post. The game is gaining intensity.
56’ – Hojlund and Pellistri create space on the edge of the box, recycling the ball to Fernandes, whose angled shot from the left is well saved by Johnstone.
57’ – Johnstone produces a fantastic save! Hojlund’s header from the center of the box is denied by Palace’s goalkeeper, courtesy of Fernandes’ well-delivered cross.
63’ – Mateta dispossesses Lindelof in United’s box, setting up Hughes for a fierce shot from the edge of the box. Onana makes a crucial save, parrying it away with both hands.
The big stat
Unbeaten against United
Roy Hodgson has achieved a unique feat in Premier League history by remaining undefeated in five consecutive away league games against Manchester United as a manager.
Roy Hodgson is the first manager in Premier League history to go five consecutive away league games against Manchester United unbeaten.
He’s got the secret formula. 🧪 pic.twitter.com/EnpVl35gPG
— Squawka (@Squawka) September 30, 2023
Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: The star man
Joachim Andersen (Crystal Palace) – 8.2
Joachim Andersen’s exceptional performance as a defensive stalwart was pivotal in Crystal Palace’s victory. He not only marshaled the backline with composure but also delivered a stunning goal that proved to be the match-winner. Andersen’s commanding presence and precise defending made him the standout player of the game.
Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: Disappointing performance at home
Manchester United dominated possession but struggled to break down Crystal Palace’s resolute defense. They had moments of promise, with Fernandes orchestrating attacks, but couldn’t find the net. Their defensive substitutions reflected desperation. Overall, a lackluster performance as they suffered a 1-0 home defeat, failing to capitalize on their possession dominance.
Manchester United player ratings
- André Onana: 7 – Made crucial saves to keep United in the game.
- Diogo Dalot: 6 – Provided width but struggled to create chances.
- Raphaël Varane: 6 – Solid in defense but substituted.
- Victor Lindelöf: 6 – Decent defensive outing, early substitution.
- Sofyan Amrabat: 5 – Not a good day for the Moroccan, booked.
- Casemiro: 6 – Put in effort but missed the target with shots.
- Mason Mount: 6 – Substituted after a below-par performance.
- Facundo Pellistri: 5 – Struggled to make an impact, substituted.
- Bruno Fernandes: 8 – Orchestrated most of United’s attacks but no breakthrough.
- Marcus Rashford: 6 – Promising moments but couldn’t capitalize.
- Rasmus Højlund: 6 – Showed skill but lacked a finishing touch.
- Christian Eriksen (sub): 6 – Couldn’t leave an impact.
- Alejandro Garnacho (sub): 6 – Tried to make an impact, but faced a resilient defense.
- Anthony Martial (sub): 6 – Couldn’t leave an impact.
- Harry Maguire (sub): N/A
- Donny van de Beek (sub): N/A
Manchester United vs Crystal Palace player ratings: Impenetrable Palace!
Crystal Palace executed a resolute defensive display, frustrating Manchester United’s possession dominance. Joachim Andersen’s superb finish secured their lead. They held their ground, defended with commitment, and relied on counter-attacks. Sam Johnstone’s crucial saves preserved their narrow lead. A classic defensive performance led them to victory at Old Trafford.
Crystal Palace player ratings
- Sam Johnstone: 7 – Made crucial saves to keep his team ahead.
- Joel Ward: 6 – Defended well but limited in attack.
- Joachim Andersen: 8 – Scored a crucial goal and led the defense effectively.
- Marc Guéhi: 6 – Helped keep the United attack at bay.
- Tyrick Mitchell: 6 – Resolute defending, limited in attack.
- Cheick Doucouré: 6 – Worked hard in midfield, booked.
- Will Hughes: 6 – Composed in midfield, and earned a booking.
- Jordan Ayew: 7 – A threat on the wing, and had a decent outing.
- Eberechi Eze: 6 – Showed moments of skill but couldn’t find the target.
- Jeffrey Schlupp: 6 – Hardworking in midfield, missed a chance.
- Jean-Philippe Mateta: 6 – Contributed to the attack but didn’t score.
- Jaïro Riedewald (sub): 6 – Added stability to the midfield.
- Chris Richards (sub): 6 – Strengthened the defense late.
Following this defeat, Manchester United’s fortunes have taken a downturn, as they now find themselves in 10th place on the table with just 9 points from 7 games. Meanwhile, Crystal Palace sits slightly above them, with 11 points.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!