Ugo Humbert vs Marcos Giron prediction and odds: Basel Open 2023

Ugo Humbert vs Marcos Giron prediction and odds: Basel Open 2023
Photo by Icon sport

Both Humbert and Giron had a successful month in Asia and have a reason to be optimistic at the Basel Open. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Ugo Humbert vs Marcos Giron predictions

Given the odds this will be a thigh match and their recent forms also goes in that direction.

Ugo Humbert to win @ 11/20 (1.55)

Giron almost made it to the final at the Japan Open which is a great result but gave him very limited time to travel back to Europe and rest properly. On the other hand, Humbert had almost two weeks off before this tournament and that will make big of a big difference in this match. Even without this fact, Humbert is the better overall player who can do many things on the court and the Frenchman dropped only one game in the previous match against Giron.

First set over 9.5 games @ 17/20 (1.85)

Both players have solid serves and Giron’s game mainly depends on his first serve. Both players are coming off solid performances in the past couple of weeks and have huge ambitions in Basel. They will show up ready and it will take time before any of them makes a break which will take the opening set over 9.5 games.

Ugo Humbert vs Marcos Giron odds

According to the odds, Humbert is the favourite to win the game, with a 65% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Giron 35% chance to win the match.

Who is the next opponent for the winner of this match?

The winner of this match ill face either Nicolas Jarry or Adrian Mannarino in the second round.

Ugo Humbert

Humbert is 28th in the ATP rankings, three spots lower than his career high. The 25-years-old is 41-24 for the season and 17-11 on hard surface.

This will be his second appearance in Basel after reaching the round of 16 in 2022 where he lost to Holger Rune.

Humbert is coming off a 6-2, 6-3 quarterfinals loss in Shanghai to Andrey Rublev. Previously in the tournament, Humbert defeated JJ Wolf, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Botic Van Den Zandschulp.

Humbert won two challengers this season in Bordeaux and Cagliari. On the ATP tour, his best results were the semifinals in Atlanta and Newport.

Marcos Giron

Giron is 57th in the rankings and he has never been ranked higher than world No. 49. The American is 30-27 for the season and 17-15 on hard surface.

He is coming off a semifinal 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 loss to Ben Shelton at the Japan Open. On his way to the semis, Giron defeated  Felix Auger-Aliassime, Casper Ruud, Yoshihito Nishioka Yasutaka Uchiyama and Kaichi Uchida.

Giron has not won a title since 2019 when he lift the trophy in Houston. His best results this season besides the semis in Tokyo were the quarterfinals in Auckland, Dallas, Delray Beach, and Munich.

Humbert vs Giron head to head

Humbert won the only previous match against Giron, 6-1 and 6-0 in the round of 16 in New York in 2020.

Ugo Humbert vs Marcos Giron
Photo: John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports/Sipa USA – Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!