UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
Ben Shelton is the rising star of the season and one of the dark-horse candidates to win the Shanghai Masters tournament. He will face the much more experienced Roman Safiullin in the round of 16 match. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.
Our favourite Ben Shelton vs Roman Safiullin predictions
- 1 Our favourite Ben Shelton vs Roman Safiullin predictions
- 2 How far can Shelton go in Shanghai?
- 3 Key match details
Shelton had a strong start in his first match at the Shanghai Open but the fact is that Juame Munar is not even close as good as Roman Safiullin on this surface.
Ben Shelton to win @ 1/1 (2.00)
Given the odds, both players have a chance to win this match. Safiullin is coming off back-to-back wins over Zverev and Murray, which makes his confidence shy high. This will definitely be a tough match, but Shelton has proven he is ready for big challenges. His energy on the court and strong forehand will get him over the edge in this match.
First set over 10.5 games @ 2/1 (3.00)
Both players seek their chance to go deep in a tournament of this level and they seem ready for it. Both have excellent serves and Shelton usually relies mostly on it. The American played at least one tie break in 3 of his last 4 matches and this one will also start with a long set that will go at least over 10.5 games in total.
Ben Shelton vs Roman Safiullin odds
According to the odds, Safiullin is the favourite to win the game, with a 55% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Shelton 45% chance to win the match.
The odds in this article were correct at the time of writing, and the odds are subject to change. We recommend checking with your bookmaker before placing a bet.
How far can Shelton go in Shanghai?
Despite being one of the youngest players on the tour, Shelton has shown that he is build for the biggest tournaments. He reached the quarterfinal in Melbourne at the beginning of the season and the semis in New York, so there is no doubt that he can go deep in this tournament as well.
Shelton is 20th in the rankings, one spot lower than his career high. He is 21-23 for the season and 14-12 on hard surface.
Shelton is coming off a 6-4, 6-4 win over Jaume Munar in the previous round.
His best result of the season was the semifinal at the US Open against Novak Djokovic and he also reached the quarterfinals at the Australian Open where he lost to Tommy Paul.
Safiullin is 50th in the rankings and he has never been higher than No. 41 in the world. The Russian is 36-21 for the season and 13-11 on hard surface.
He is coming off a huge 6-3, 6-1 win over Alexander Zverev after previously beating Andy Murray 6-3, 6-2.
Safiullin won the Challenger in Koblenz earlier this year and also reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.
Ben Shelton vs Roman Safiullin head to head
Safiullin won the only previous match against Shelton. In the 2022 final in Chicago, the Russian won 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
Key match details
- Venue: Court 3
- Date & time: Monday, 8th of October, 05:30 GMT
- Where to watch in UK: Amazon Prime
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!