UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
As it has been indicated for the past few months, Alpine is going under a restructuring in regards to its Formula 1 team. This season has been a disappointment for the French squad, which has not made significant progress and is en route to a sixth-place finish in the constructors’ championship.
This process started all the way back in June, when Hollywood stars Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney, who are also leading Wrexham FC’s effort to climb up the English football ladder, were joined by Michael B. Jordan and made a €200 million investment in the team.
These news were followed by different ones in the following month, when Laurent Rossi, Otmar Szafnauer and Alan Permane, all very important figures in the team’s operation, were sacked by the team. They were replaced by Bruno Famin and Julian Rouse, with more important figures expected to join the team.
Today, more new investors were announced by Alpine, in some positive news for the outfit that fields the cars of Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly this season:
— BWT Alpine F1 Team (@AlpineF1Team) October 17, 2023
The new Alpine investors
Today, Otro Capital announced a €200 million strategic investment in Alpine, with some well-known figures of the sporting industry joining the investment group:
- Patrick Mahomes: One of the top stars of NFL, who has won two regular season MVP trophies and two Super Bowl MVPs and championships. He is currently in his seventh seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, the only team he has played for.
- Travis Kelce: Mahomes’ teammate in the Kansas City Chiefs, who is also Super Bowl champion twice. He has been making the headlines lately, thanks to his high-profile relationship with Taylor Swift.
- Rory McIlroy: A four-time golf major championship winner from Northern Ireland, who is currently ranked second in the world.
- Anthony Joshua: Twice a unified world heavyweight champion and an Olympic gold medalist in boxing at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
- Trent Alexander-Arnold: A left-back for Liverpool and the English football national team, who has won the Champions League and the Premier League for his club, which he joined in 2016.
- Juan Mata: Currently playing in Japan for Vissel Kobe in the twilight of his career, he has played for Chelsea and Manchester and has also won the Euro and the World Cup with the Spanish football national team.
- Roger Ehrenberg: Investor in the Miami Marlins in MLB and Real Salt Lake in MLS.
Alpine has had a disappointing campaign in 2023 so far, with inconsistent results. While a podium for Esteban Ocon in Monaco and another for Pierre Gasly in the Netherlands have been great achievements, the team has failed to score any points in five of the seventeen races that have been run so far and is usually in the fringes of the top ten.
It currently stands sixth in the standings with 90 points, a long distance away from Aston Martin and McLaren ahead. It is also two places down compared to last year, when it finished fourth with Ocon and Fernando Alonso on 173 points.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!