Formula One

F1 Austria Preview – Start Time, How to Watch & More

F1 returns for the second leg of the European season, making its yearly trip to the Red Bull Ring. Here is what you need to know about the Austrian Grand Prix, with information on how to watch and more. Make sure to also check out our F1 predictions and F1 odds for the weekend.

F1 Austrian GP Preview
Circuit atmosphere – #AustrianGP. 29.06.2023. Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 10, Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, Austria, Preparation Day. –, EMail: [email protected] © Copyright: Moy / XPB Images – Photo by Icon sport

Austrian GP Start Time and UK Schedule

Austrian Grand Prix Date

The Austrian Grand Prix will take place on Sunday, July 2nd.

Austrian Grand Prix Start Time

The Austrian Grand Prix will start at 1:00 pm GMT. The table below lists the start time for all sessions this weekend, including free practice, the sprint shootout, the sprint race, qualifying and the GP itself.

Austrian GP Schedule

Friday, June 30th Session Time (GMT)
Free Practice 111:30 am – 12:30 pm
Qualifying3:00 pm – 4:00 pm
Saturday, July 1st Session Time (GMT)
Sprint Qualifying10:00 am – 11:00 am
Sprint Race2:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Sunday, July 2nd
Session Time (GMT)
Race2:00 pm

How Can I Watch the Austrian GP?

UK viewers can watch the Austrian GP live on Sky Sports on TV. NOW will also stream the race live. Fans in the US can catch up with the racing action on ESPN, both on TV and streaming.

Television Channels

TV ChannelLocation
Sky Sports F1UK
Fox SportsAustralia

Streaming Services

Streaming ServiceLocation
TSN DirectCanada

About the Austrian GP

Red Bull Ring is notably different from most F1 tracks. Its most distinctive feature are the short laptimes: Carlos Sainz set the track record during the 2020 Austrian Grand Prix at 1:05.619. Valtteri Bottas’ unofficial track record from 2020 is even more impressive: the Finn driver was able to lap Red Bull Ring’s GP layout in just 1:02.939. At 4.318 km, Red Bull Ring is the third-shortest track in the F1 schedule, behind Monaco and Interlagos.

The track, then the Osterreichring, joined F1 in 1970. It remained in the schedule until 1987, when it was dropped because of safety concerns. Mobile operator A1 acquired the track in the 90s, renaming it to A1-Ring. With a new layout, A1-Ring returned to the F1 schedule in 1996, and was part of the calendar until 2003. A year later, Red Bull bought the track. The Austrian beverage giant initially planned to turn the track into a private testing facility, ultimately chose to reopen for motorsports in 2010. The now Red Bull Ring returned to the schedule in 2014.

A fast circuit with few corners, Red Bull Ring is an old-school track, with uphill and downhill sections, fast and off-camber corners. It’s a physically demanding circuit that also takes a lot of life out of the tyres.

Altitude and Weather

Rain could be a factor on Friday and Saturday. FP1 will likely be held in the dry, but there is a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon, during FP2. The sprint on Saturday could be held in the wet, as there is an 80% chance of rain in the afternoon, with possible thunderstorms. For Sunday, the forecast has a 20% chance of rain in the afternoon, with cloudy skies and 24°C.

Austrian GP Stats

These are the key stats you need to know about the Austrian Grand Prix:

Last Austrian Grand Prix: 2022

Circuit length: 4.318 km

Number of laps: 71

Race distance: 306.452 km

Lap record: Carlos Sainz Jr., 2020 (1:05.619)

Most Wins (Drivers)

Alain Prost, Max Verstappen – 3

Alan Jones, Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher, Nico Rosberg, Ronnie Peterson, Valtteri Bottas – 2

Carlos Reutemann, David Coulthard, Eddie Irvine, Elio de Angelis, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jacky Ickx, Jacques Laffite, Jacques Villeneuve, Jean-Pierre Jabouille, John Watson, Jo Siffert, Lorenzo Bandini, Nigel Mansell, Niki Lauda, Vittorio Brambilla – 1

Most Wins (Constructors)

Ferrari, McLaren – 6

Mercedes – 5

Lotus – 4

Red Bull, Williams – 3

Renault – 2

Brabham, BRM, March, Penske, Shadow, Ligier – 1

Austria Offers More Than Just Racing

Styria, the region where the Red Bull Ring is located, is home to one of the highest concentrations in the world of clean tech companies. In fact, clean technology companies are responbile for roughly 8% of Styria’s GDP.

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!