UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The 2023 Italian Open kicked off last week; this is the fifth WTA 1000 event of the year, and the second on clay courts. It’s important to point out that the Rome Open will be the last 1000 event of the year on clay courts. That said, many players from across the world travelled to Rome, setting their sights on the title; there are just two players left standing in this tournament. Interestingly, both players have never won this title, so we’ll have a brand new Italian Open champion when it’s all said and done. It’ll be interesting to see who will reign supreme at the end of today’s final.
WTA Italian Open Predictions – Outright Winner
It’s important to point out that this has not really been a great tournament for the top players on the WTA Tour. It may interest you to know that four of the top five seeds didn’t make it through to the round of 16. As a matter of fact, all of the top 8 players on the WTA rankings featured in this tournament, and only two of them reached the round of 16. However, it’s fair to note that all the players who made it to the semi-finals were seeded players. As it stands, our two finalists are seventh-seeded Elena Rybakina, and Anhelina Kalinina, who was seeded 30th ahead of this competition.
Keeping these two players in mind, our pick for the Italian Open title is Anhelina Kalinina. Sure, the Ukrainian player is the underdog here, but that has been the case in almost all her matches in this tournament. As a matter of fact, Kalinina has only been the bookies’ favourite once, in her first match against Anna Blinkova. She has beaten Sofia Kenin, Madison Keys, Beatriz Haddad-Maia and Veronika Kudermetova since then, whilst being the underdog. Furthermore, Kalinina faced Elena Rybakina once last year, at the Charleston Open. Although she wasn’t the favourite, she managed to defeat Rybakina in three sets. For this reason, we believe there’s a lot of value in backing the Ukrainian player to win the Rome Open title.
Elena Rybakina vs Anhelina Kalinina Head to Head
This will be the second encounter between Elena Rybakina and Anhelina Kalinina. They previously clashed at the green clay event in Charleston last year. In that match, Anhelina Kalinina won 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Elena Rybakina – The Journey So Far
- Semi-final vs Jelena Ostapenko – won 2-0
- Quarter-final vs. Iga Swiatek – won (rtd)
- Round of 16 vs Marketa Vondrousova – won 2-0
- Round of 32 vs Anna Kalinskaya – won (rtd)
- Round of 64 vs Jasmine Paolini – won 2-0
Anhelina Kalinina – The Journey So Far
- Semi-final vs Veronika Kudermetova – won 2-1
- Quarter-final vs Beatriz Haddad-Maia – won 2-1
- Round of 16 vs Madison Keys – won 2-1
- Round of 32 vs Sofia Kenin – won 2-0
- Round of 64 vs Anna Blinkova – won 2-0
Frequently Asked Questions About the 2023 WTA Italian Open
- Who is the defending Champion of this tournament? Iga Swiatek won the WTA Italian Open title last year.
- Who is the WTA Italian Open favourite? Defending champion and World number 1 Iga Swiatek is favoured ahead of every other player in this tournament.
- How many seeded players are in this tournament? There are 32 seeds in this competition.
- What will the winner of the WTA Italian Open get? Whoever wins the 2023 Rome Open will get €521,754, along with 1000 WTA ranking points.
- Is it possible to watch the Italian Open live in the UK? Of course. You can watch this tournament live on Amazon Prime if you live in the United Kingdom.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!