UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The first round of Wimbledon 2023 features a historical match. Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas have a fierce rivalry as well as numerous similarities.
Both guys were potential young players who have never been ranked number one in the globe. In reality, the best position in the ATP rankings for each of them was third. Something incredible considering they both attained this place for the first time while competing against Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic.
Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas: Overall Head to Head Record
- 1 Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas: Overall Head to Head Record
- 2 Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas: Head to Head Breakdown
The rivalry between these two tennis players began in 2018 when the Greek tennis player was 19 and the Austrian tennis player was 24. There have been nine clashes in total, with all of them being quite evenly matched. Thiem leads the series 5-4 after more than 5 years of battles.
Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas: Last Match
Between 2018 and 2020, eight of the nine matches between these two tennis players took place. They hadn’t met since then until April when they met in the second round of the Madrid Open.
Dominic got off to a fantastic start, converting a breakpoint on Tsitsipas’ second serve. This was enough for the Austrian to grab a 1-0 lead. Stefanos rebounded to win the second set 6-1. Both players were strong in the third set, not giving up a single serve. The Greek player won a 7-5 tiebreak.
2019 Nitto ATP Finales, Final, Tsitsipas vs Thiem 6-7 6-2 7-6
Dominic Thiem was ranked fifth when he reached the Nitto ATP Finals that year, while Tsitsipas was ranked sixth. After overcoming Rafael Nadal in the group stage and Roger Federer in the semi-finals, the Greek tennis star achieved a well-deserved triumph.
2019 China Open Final, Thiem vs Tsitsipas 3-6 6-4 6-1
The two players had never met in a final before. Dominic was seeded first in the competition, while Tsitsipas was seeded third. The Austrian had to beat Karen Khachanov, Andy Murray, and lastly Stefanos to win the trophy.
2018 French Open Second Round, Thiem vs Tsitsipas 6-2 2-6 6-4 6-4
Their only Grand Slam meeting came at Roland Garros. The fight was close, but Thiem came out on top, converting 5 breakpoints. Dominic reached the final that year but lost to Rafael Nadal.
Dominic Thiem vs Stefanos Tsitsipas: Head to Head Breakdown
- Six of the nine meetings required an extra set to determine the winner.
- Dominic won the first meeting in straight sets but has subsequently dropped at least one set in each encounter.
- Tsitsipas won both matches in straight sets.
- They’ve never played on grass courts. They crossed paths six times on Courtney and three times on Clay.
- They only met once at a Grand Slam, at the 2018 French Open.
- In total, they played 25 sets, with Thiem winning 13 and Tsitsipas winning 12.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!