UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The opening round of the Shanghai Masters will see one of the least predictable players on the tour going against each other. Fognini is far past his prime while Kokkinakis is still searching for his best tennis. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.
Our favourite Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Fabio Fognini predictions
- 1 Our favourite Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Fabio Fognini predictions
- 2 Does Fognini have anything left in the tank?
- 3 Key match details
It’s been a while since Fognini had some significant result, and it is hard to believe that anything will change in Shanghai.
Thanasi Kokkinakis 2-0 @ 17/20 (1.85)
Kokkinakis is in much better shape than Fognini and in their first match this season, the Australian lost only 5 games in three sets in Melbourne. He may not be that dominant this time around, but the Australian will definitely win in straight sets.
First set under 9.5 games @ 17/20 (1.85)
Fognini is not even a shadow of the player he once was and he is seriously considering a retirement. He lacks energy and sometimes even effort and that will not keep him long in this match.
Thanasi Kokkinakis vs Fabio Fognini odds
According to the odds, Kokkinakis is the favourite to win the game, with an 74% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Fognini 26% chance to win the match.
The odds in this article were correct at the time of writing, and the odds are subject to change. We recommend checking with your bookmaker before placing a bet.
Does Fognini have anything left in the tank?
Fognini has fallen out of the top 100 players in the rankings and has yet to win a match on hard surface this year, which is questioning his form and future on the tour.
Kokkinakis is currently 71st in the rankings, only two spots shy of his career high. The Australian is 34-22 for the season and 25-14 on hard surface.
He is coming off a 6-3, 7-5 win in the Davis Cup against Dominic Striker. This will be his first tournament after losing in the opening round of the US Open to Yu Hsu Hsiou in four sets.
Kokkinakis best result this season was the title in Manama and the semifinal in Adelaide. This will be his first appearance at the Shanghai Masters since 2014 when he lost in the first round.
Fognini is currently 129th in the rankings and his career high was No. 9. The Italian is 17-17 for the season and 0-5.
His last match was at the challenger at Bad Waltersdorf where he retired in the second round with an injury.
Fognini’s best result this season was the final in Genoa where he lost to Thiago Seyboth Wild. His best result in Shanghai was the quarterfinal in 2019.
Kokkinakis vs Fognini head to head
Kokkinakis has a perfect 3-0 record against Fognini in their previous matches. The last time they played was in the opening round of this year’s Australian Open where the home player won 6-1, 6-2, 6-2. Last year in the first round in Geneve on clay, Kokkinakis won 6-4, 6-3. The only set that Fognini won against the Australian was in the first round in Cincinnati in 2015, where Kokkinakis won 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
Key match details
- Venue: Center Court
- Date & time: Wednesday, 4th of October, TBD
- Where to watch in UK: Amazon Prime
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!