Max Purcell vs J.J. Wolf prediction and odds: China Open 2023

Max Purcell vs J.J. Wolf prediction and odds: China Open 2023
Photo: Jerry Lai-USA TODAY Sports/Sipa USA - Photo by Icon sport

Both Purcell and Wold broke long losing streaks in the opening round of the China Open. Who will keep the momentum and advance to the next round. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Max Purcell vs J.J. Wolf Pegula predictions

Max Purcell has a better record this season and is ranked higher compared to Wolf, but according to the odds, the American is the favourite to win.

J.J. Wolf to win @ 7/10 (1.70)

After having a solid season last year, Wolf did not make a step forward this time around. The American had many ups and downs, but his potential is undoubtful. Purcell has a solid record, even though he mainly plays in the challenger tour. Wolf was dominant in their previous match, and knowing how good he is when his first serve goes in, he will most likely advance to the next round.

First set over 9.5 games @ 13/20 (1.65)

Both Purcell and Wolf depend on their first serve, and it is the main asset of their game. Given the surface at the tournament, it will not be easy at all for any player to break, so the first set will definitely go over 9.5 games and maybe even all the way to the tiebreak.

Max Purcell vs J.J. Wolf odds

According to the odds, J.J Wolf is the favourite to win the game, with an 58.8% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Max Purcell 41.2% chance to win the match.

The odds in this article were correct at the time of writing, and the odds are subject to change. We recommend checking with your bookmaker before placing a bet.

How likely is a tie break in this match?

Purcell had 6 consecutive matches with at least one tiebreak, while Wolf played at least one in his last two matches. Given that and the surface at the tournament, we will most likely see the 13th game in this match.

Max Purcell

Purcell is enjoying the highest ranking in his career, being No. 43rd in the world. The Australian is 51-22 for the season and 45-14 on a hard surface.

Purcell is coming off a 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 win in the opening round against the home player Hanwen Li. That was his first win after losing in the first rounds in Chengdu and the US Open, as well as losing the only match at the Davis Cup.

Purcell won three challengers this year in Chennai, Bangalore and Pune.

J.J. Wolf

Wolf is 51st at the moment and has never been ranked higher than No. 39. The American is 24-21 for the season and 12-11 on a hard surface.

In the opening round of the China Open, Wolf defeated Yan Bai 7-6, 6-3.

Wold’s best results this season were the semifinals in Atlanta and Dallas.

Purcell vs Wolf head to head

This will be the second match between these two players after Wolf won 6-1, 6-3 in the first round of the Phoenix Challenger in 2022.

Max Purcell vs J.J. Wolf
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

  • Venue: Center Court
  • Date & time: Wednesday, 27th of September, 04:00
  • Where to watch in UKAmazon Prime

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!