Marcos Giron vs Casper Ruud prediction and odds – Japan Open 2023

An interesting fixture is on the cards as Marcos Giron and Casper Ruud go toe-to-toe with each other on Wednesday. Which of these players will advance to the quarter-final of the Japan Open?

Casper Ruud
Photo by Icon Sport

Marcos Giron vs Casper Ruud – match predictions

As these players contend with each other for a third round spot, these are our predictions and tips for this match

Casper Ruud to win 2-0 @ 1/1 (2.00)

To be fair, Marcos Giron is coming into this match on the back of three consecutive wins. However, two of those came in the qualifying rounds of this tournament. The American player took out Kaichi Uchida, Yasutaka Uchiyama and Yoshihito Nishioka in his last three matches. Compared to these players, number two seed Casper Ruud will be a relatively bigger fish to fry.

Interestingly the only other time these players squared off against each other, Casper Ruud emerged victorious in straight sets, surrendering just three games. On that note, we believe that the three-time grand slam finalist will take this in two sets.

Two total sets @ 1/2 (1.50)

We’ve already established that the last encounter between these teams ended in straight sets. Bearing that in mind, it’s also fair to point out that these players have both been involved in a lot of two-setters lately. On one hand, four of Marcos Giron’s last five matches ended in two sets. Likewise, six of Casper Ruud’s last eight singles matches ended in minimum sets. For this reason, we believe that whoever wins this match will do so in straight sets.

Marcos Giron vs Casper Ruud odds

At 2/5 (1.40), Casper Ruud is the favourite to win this match with a 71.4 percent probability. On the other hand, the bookies give Marcos Giron a 28.6 percent chance to win this match.

Who will advance to the quarter-final?

Now that we’ve sorted out our Marcos Giron vs Casper Ruud predictions, let’s see how these players fared in the previous round of the Japan Open.

Marcos Giron

Despite being the underdog in his round 1 clash with Yoshihito Nishioka, Marcos Giron held his own against the Japanese player, dispatching him in three sets. The American player will have his work cut out for him, as he takes on second-seeded Casper Ruud. It’ll be interesting to see how he matches up against his Norwegian opponent.

Casper Ruud

On the other hand, Casper Ruud faced wildcard Yosuke Watanuki in the previous round; and while the Japanese player gave him some trouble in the first set, it was ultimately business as usual for Ruud. Casper Ruud will be eyeing a quarter-final spot as he takes on Marcos Giron today.

Giron vs Ruud head to head

This will be the second encounter between these players. Marcos Giron and Casper Ruud previously clashed at the Paris Masters two years ago, and it was the Norwegian who emerged victorious in two short sets.

Key match details

Marcos Giron
Photo by Icon Sport
  • Venue: Coliseum.
  • Time and date: Wednesday 18th October, not before 10:00 BST.
  • Bookies’ favourite: Casper Ruud.

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!