Mackenzie McDonald vs Max Purcell prediction and odds: Japan Open 2023

Mackenzie McDonald vs Max Purcell prediction and odds: Japan Open 2023
Photo by Icon sport

Both Mackenzie McDonald and Max Purcell are having the highest rankings of their careers and will have an opportunity to go even higher at the Japan Open. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Mackenzie McDonald vs Max Purcell predictions

After failing to make a significant result at the Shanghai Masters, McDonald and Purcell are starting the Japan Open with their first match against each other.

Mackenzie McDonald to win @ 1/2 (1.50)

McDonald has seen a major rise in the ATP rankings this season and he has the quality to get closer to the top 20 players on the tourn. The American is a more versatile player than Purcell which will make the difference in this match. Purcell also has the best season in his career but he prefers to stay on the baseline while McDonald is capable of running all over the place, which eventually will see him go through to the next round.

Over 22.5 games @ 17/20 (1.85)

Purcell is one of those players who focuses on holding his serve and with the speed he is capable to provide, that is a tactics that works for him. McDonald on the other hand, is more adaptable to the playing style of the opponent and can find different solutions throughout the match. The Australian has played over 22.5 games in 6 of his last 7 matches and the same can be expected in this match against McDonald.

Mackenzie McDonald vs Max Purcell odds

According to the odds, McDonald is the favourite to win the game, with a 66.7% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Purcell 33.3% chance to win the match.

Who will be the next opponent for the winner of this match?

The winner of this match will face either Tommy Paul or Daniel Altmeier in the second round.

Mackenzie McDonald

McDonald is currently 38th in the ATP rankings, the highest ranking in his career. The American is 33-28 for the season and 22-14 on hard surface.

Last week in Shanghai, McDonald lost in the second round to Francisco Cerundolo in two tie breaks. In the opening round, he defeated Corentin Moutet 6-3, 6-2.

McDonald’s best result this season were the semifinals in Eastbourne, where he also lost to Cerundolo and the one in Delray Beach, where he lost to the highest-ranked American, Taylor Fritz.

Max Purcell

Purcell is 41st in the rankings, which is the best ranking in his career as well. The Australian is 51-24 for the season and 45-16 on hard surface.

He is coming off a first round loss to Yu Hsiou Hsu in Shanghai, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4. The week before, Purcell reached the second round in Beijing, where he lost to JJ Wolf after beating Hanwen Li in the opening round.

Purcell won three challengers this season and also lost three other finals. When it comes to the titles, he won in Chennai, Bangalore and Pune.

McDonald vs Purcell head to head

This will be the first match between McDonald and Purcell.

Mackenzie McDonald vs Max Purcell
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

  • Venue: Coloseum Arena
  • Date & time: Monday, 16th of October, 03:30 GMT
  • Where to watch in UKAmazon Prime

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!