Karen Khachanov vs Max Purcell prediction and odds: Paris Open 2023

Karen Khachanov vs Max Purcell
Photo by Icon sport

The 2018 Paris Open champion is starting this year’s journey against Max Purcell from Australia. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Karen Khachanov vs Max Purcell predictions

Khachanov is a major favourite in this match against Purcell, who never had any success on this level.

Karen Khachanov -3.5 @ 7/10 (1.70)

Khachanov had a tough year with multiple injuries, but he managed to come back and even win a tournament after his return to the court. He has great memories from the Paris Open, as he won the title in 2018, which is, to this day, his biggest achievement. Khachanov is facing Max Purcell in the opening round and should have no problem getting through without any drama. The Australian is simply not on this level and Khachanov will take care of business by covering the -3.5 games spread.

First set over 9.5 games @ 4/5 (1.80)

Max Purcell has found his place at this level mainly because of his solid serve on hard surface. He is capable of holding to it the majority of the time, and will most likely do so just enough to take the opening set against Khachanov over 9.5 games in total.

Karen Khachanov vs Max Purcell odds

According to the odds, Khachanov is the favourite to win the game, with a 80% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Davidovich Fokina 20% chance to win the match.

Who is the next opponent for the winner of this match?

The winner of this match will play against the winner of the match between Laslo Djere and Luca Van Assche in the second round.

Karen Khachanov

Khachanov is currently 16th in the ATP rankings while his career high was No. 8. The Russian is 30-16 for the season and 18-10 on hard surface.

He is coming off a quarterfinal loss in Vienna, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to Daniil Medvedev. Previously in the tournament, Khachanov defeated Jiri Lehecka and Roman Safiullin both in straight sets.

Khachanov won the title in Zhuhai earlier this season, his first after winning in Paris in 2018. Khachanov made a huge upset back then defeating Novak Djokovic 7-5, 6-4 in the finals. On his way to the final, he also defeated some of the best players at the time, Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev.

Max Purcell

Purcell is currently 41st in the rankings, one spot shy of his career best. The Australian is 51-26 for the season and 45-17 on hard surface.

He is coming off a first round loss in Basel, 7-6, 7-6 against Taylor Fritz.

Purcell won three challengers titles this season. It is interesting to note that all three titles came in consecutive weeks in Indian cities Chennai, Bangalore and Pune. He also made it to the finals in Lille, Guangju and Busan but lost on all three occasions.

Khachanov vs Purcell head to head

Khachanov won the only previous match against Purcell. At the Great Ocean Road Open in 2021, the Russian won 7-6, 6-3.

Karen Khachanov vs Max Purcell
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!