Jelena Ostapenko vs Donna Vekic prediction and odds: WTA Elite trophy 2023

Jelena Ostapenko vs Donna Vekic prediction and odds: WTA Elite trophy 2023
Photo by Icon Sport

Jelena Ostapenko and Donna Vekic will meet up on day two of the WTA Elite Trophy in Zhuhai. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Jelena Ostapenko vs Donna Vekic predictions

It’s been six years since the last time these two players played against each other. Given the odds, Ostapenko is a slight favourite but that will not mean anything when the match starts.

Donna Vekic to win @ 27/20 (2.35)

Donna Vekic lost the first match in group C and she will have to win this one in order to keep her chances of moving forward in the tournament in Zhuhai. The Croatian had an excellent first half of the season but slightly failed when the tour moved to Asia. Ostapenko also had her ups and downs this year and is coming off a difficult loss in Seoul. This will definitely be a tough tennis battle that can go either way, but given the odds, it is worthy going with Vekic.

Over 22.5 games @ 17/20 (1.85)

Both players are coming off long matches and given the stakes in this one, we will watch another match that will probably go in the third set. Both Ostapenko and Vekic are experienced players but are not capable to win this match in straight set. Both of them will have their moments in the match that will most likely go over 22.5 games in total.

Jelena Ostapenko vs Donna Vekic odds

According to the odds, Osta[enko is the favourite to win the game, with a 57% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Vekic 43% chance to win the match.

What is the competition format at the WTA Elite trophy

Twelve players are participating at the WTA Elite trophy in Zhihai, China. They are divided in four groups of three players, and only the winner of each group will advance to the semifinals of the tournament.

Jelena Ostapenko

Ostapenko is 13th in the WTA rankings while her career high is No. 5. The Latvian is 36-21 for the season and 21-15 on hard surface.

Ostapenko is coming off a 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 loss in the opening round in Seoul against Dayeon Back. Previously, she reached the second round in Zhengzhou, losing to Lesya Tsurenko in two tie breaks.

The 2017 French Open champion won one title this year beating Barbora Krejcikova in the Birmingham final.

Donna Vekic

Vekic is 24th in the rankings, five spots lower than her career high. The Croatian is 33-20 for the season and 18-10 on hard surface.

She lost the first match at the WTA Elite Trophy, 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 against Qinwen Zheng.

Vekic won two titles this season, the Hopman Cup and the WTA Monterrey.

Ostapenko vs Vekic head to head

This will be the third match between Jelena Ostapenko and Donna Vekic and both players won one of the previous. In the first round of the 2017 tournament in Sankt Petersburg, Vekic won 6-0, 6-4. Two years before that, at the Billie Jean King Cup, Ostapenko won 6-3, 6-1.

Jelena Ostapenko vs Donna Vekic
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

  • Venue: Center court
  • Date & time: Thursday, 26th of October, 09:30 GMT
  • Where to watch in UKAmazon Prime

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!