Daria Saville vs Elise Mertens prediction and odds: Hong Kong Open 2023

Daria Saville vs Elise Mertens
Photo by Icon sport

Daria Saville went through the qualifiers to face Elise Mertens in the opening round of the main draw in Hing Kong. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Daria Saville vs Elise Mertens predictions

These two players know each other very well since this will be their seventh match against each other.

Elise Mertens -3.5 @ 17/20 (1.85)

Mertens lost the opening match in Beijing which is not good for her confidence but she is all pumped up and ready for a better week in Hong Kong. Saville is the one who won their previous match this season, but Mertens is the better one in the head to head overall. Saville is far from her best shape and even though she adapted well in Hong Kong in the qualifiers, she will stand not much of a chance in this one. Mertens is much better than her at the moment and will most likely win this one covering the -3.5 games spread.

Over 21.5 games @ 4/5 (1.80)

Three of the previous six matches between Saville and Mertens went to the third set including the last one. Both players are far from their best rankings and will like to use this tournament to get in that direction. They both have a lot ti prove and this will be a battle that will go over 21.5 games in total.

Daria Saville vs Elise Mertens odds

According to the odds, Saville is the favourite to win the game, with a 69% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Mertens 31% chance to win the match.

The odds in this article were correct at the time of writing, and the odds are subject to change. We recommend checking with your bookmaker before placing a bet.

Who is the next opponent for the winner of this match?

The winner of this match will go on the winner between Sofya Lansere and Hong Yi Cody Wong.

Daria Saville

Saville is currently 211th in the WTA rankings way lower than her career high at No. 20. The Australian is 12-10 for the season and 6-6 on hard surface.

She is coming off a 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 win over Dalila Jakupovic in the second qualifying round after previously defeating Chia Yi Tsao.

Saville’s best result this season was the semifinal in Hamburg.

Elise Mertens

Mertens is 41st in the rankings and her career high is No. 12. The Belgian is 25-21 for the season and 17-15 on hard surface.

She is coming off a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 loss to Yue Yuan in the first round in Beijing.

Her best result of the season is the semifinal in Monterrey.

Saville vs Mertens head to head

Mertens leads 4-2 in the head to head matches against Saville. Last year in the third round in Indian Wells, Saville won 6-3, 4-6, 6-3. Martens won the previous four matches. In the third round of the 2018 French Open, it was 6-3, 6-1. Earlier that year, at the second round of the Australian Open, it was 7-5, 6-3. Mertens also won at the Hopman Cup, this time in three sets, 2-6, 6-4, 6-2. In the opening round, of the 2017 French Open, the Belgian won 7-6, 1-6, 6-4. Saville won their first match that took place in the round of 16 in 2017 in Rabat – 6-2, 6-1.

Daria Saville vs Elise Mertens
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

  • Venue: Center court
  • Date & time: Wednesday, 11th of October, 08:30 GMT
  • Where to watch in UKAmazon Prime

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!