UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The BMW Open finally draws to a close today. Despite the absence of some of the biggest names in tennis, we’ve been treated to a lot of exciting fixtures over the past week. As it stands, there are two players left standing, and these two will contend with each other for the title. It’s worth mentioning that this isn’t the first rodeo for either player; as Carlos Alcaraz won the title here in Barcelona last year, while Stefanos Tsitsipas was a finalist two years ago. Interestingly, these players clashed in last year’s quarter-final, with Alcaraz coming out on top. Can he successfully defend his title, or will Tsitsipas avenge his loss from last year?
Barcelona Open Predictions – Outright Winner
To be fair, Stefanos Tsitsipas earned his place in this final. He faced some tough players in this tournament, including Lorenzo Musetti, Alex de Minaur and Denis Shapovalov. The Greek player has looked really good throughout the tournament, surrendering just one set en route to the final.
However, Carlos Alcaraz has been unstoppable in this tournament; as he breezed past all of his opponents in straight sets. The Spaniard has been one of the most consistent players on the tour this year; he has played 24 singles matches in 2023, and has won 22 of them. Interestingly, Alcaraz already has two ATP titles to his name this year, he’s also the defending champion of this tournament. Moreover, the former World number 1 has dominated Stefanos Tsitsipas in the past, winning all of their previous three meetings. Taking everything into account, Carlos Alcaraz should win his second consecutive Barcelona Open title.
Carlos Alcaraz vs Stefanos Tsitsipas Head to Head
This will be the fourth encounter between these players. Carlos Alcaraz and Stefanos Tsitsipas have clashed four times in the past, and the Spaniard leads the head-to-head, with three wins from three. Interestingly, these players went up against each other here in Barcelona last year, at the quarter-finals. Alcaraz emerged victorious in three sets.
- 22/04/22 Alcaraz won 2-1 (Barcelona Open, Clay)
- 30/03/22 Alcaraz won 2-0 (Miami Open, Outdoor Hard)
- 03/09/21 Alcaraz won 3-2 (US Open, Outdoor Hard)
Carlos Alcaraz – The Journey So Far
Carlos Alcaraz kicked off his Barcelona Open campaign in the round of 32, being the top seeded player in the tournament. He faced Nuno Borges, Roberto Bautista Agut, Alejandro Davidovich Fokina and Daniel Evans in the last four rounds, defeating them all in straight sets. Alcaraz is currently on a nine-match winning streak in Barcelona, and he’ll look to extend that run today.
- Semi-final vs Evans – won 2-0
- Quarter-final vs Davidovich Fokina – won 2-0
- Round of 16 vs Bautista Agut – won 2-0
- Round of 32 vs Borges – won 2-0
Stefanos Tsitsipas – The Journey So Far
Like his opponent, Stefanos Tsitsipas was seeded ahead of this tournament, so he received a first round bye. The Greek player has held his own against some really tough opposition, and will be eyeing his first Barcelona Open title. It’s worth mentioning that Tsitsipas reached the final two years ago, where he lost to Rafael Nadal.
- Semi-final vs Musetti – won 2-1
- Quarter-final vs de Minaur – won 2-0
- Round of 16 vs Shapovalov – won 2-0
- Round of 32 vs Cachin – won 2-0
Frequently Asked Questions About the Barcelona Open
- Who is the defending champion of this tournament? Carlos Alcaraz won the Barcelona Open last year.
- What does the winner of this tournament get? The champion will get €477,795, as well as 500 ATP ranking points.
- Who is the pre-tournament favorite?Defending champion Carlos Alcaraz is favoured over every other player in this tournament.
- How many seeded players are in this tournament? There are 16 seeds in this competition.
- Where can I watch the 2023 Barcelona Open? Fans in the United Kingdom can watch this tournament live on Amazon Prime.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!