UK: 18+ USA: 21+ | Begambleaware.org | T&Cs apply | Play Responsibly
The 2023 Italian Open will come to an end today. This will be the last clay court Masters event of the year, and the fifth of nine ATP 1000 events. There have been surprising upsets over the past two weeks, as well as some very one-sided contests. That said, of all the players who made the trip to Rome for this competition, there are two players left. Who will go home with the Italian Open title?
It’s important to point out that the most successful player in this tournament will not feature in the 2023 Italian Open. 22 time grand slam champion Rafael Nadal has won a record 10 Rome Masters titles; he also holds a few other records, including most finals, most consecutive matches won, most consecutive finals and most consecutive titles. Bearing that in mind, the Spaniard couldn’t participate in this year’s competition because he isn’t 100 percent fit.
It may also interest you to know that the top three pre-tournament favourites did not make it through to the semi-final of this tournament. Carlos Alcaraz crashed out of the round of 32, Jannik Sinner exited in the round of 16, while Novak Djokovic exited in the quarter-final. Keeping that in mind, the two players left in this competition are Holger Rune and Daniil Medvedev. These players have never won the title here in Rome, so we’ll have a brand new Italian Open champion when it’s all said and done.
ATP Italian Open Predictions – Outright Winner
Taking everything into account, our pick for the Italian Open title is Daniil Medvedev. To be fair, while Medvedev has 19 singles titles to his name, none of those came on clay courts. He came close one time, losing to Dominic Thiem at the Barcelona Open final four years ago. Interestingly, the Russian player has been arguably the most consistent player on the ATP Tour this year, winning the most titles and reaching the most finals in 2023.
This is Medvedev’s best chance of winning his first clay court title. He has been in sensational form since last week, surrendering just one set en route to the final. The former World number 1 has won eight consecutive sets ahead of this match, including straight sets victories over Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexander Zverev. On that note, we believe he can hold his own against Holger Rune today.
Holger Rune vs Daniil Medvedev Head to Head
This will be the second encounter between these players. They previously met just last month at the Monte Carlo Masters; and Holger Rune came out on top in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
Holger Rune – The Journey So Far
- Semi-final vs Casper Ruud – won 2-1
- Quarter-final vs Novak Djokovic – won 2-1
- Round of 16 vs Alexei Popyrin – won 2-1
- Round of 32 vs Fabio Fognini – won 2-0
- Round of 64 vs Arthur Fils won 2-0
Daniil Medvedev – The Journey So Far
- Semi-final vs Stefanos Tsitsipas – won 2-0
- Quarter-final vs Yannick Hanfmann – won 2-0
- Round of 16 vs Alexander Zverev – won 2-0
- Round of 32 vs Bernabé Zapata Miralles – won 2-1
- Round of 64 vs Emil Ruusuvuori – won 2-0
Frequently Asked Questions About the Italian Open 2023
- How much will the winner of the Rome Masters get? The 2023 Italian Open champion will get €1,105,265, as well as 1000 ATP ranking points
- Who is the outright favourite ahead of this tournament? Carlos Alcaraz is favoured over every other player in this tournament.
- Where can I watch the Italian Open live in the United Kingdom? If you live in the UK, you can catch Rome Masters matches live on Amazon Prime.
- Who won the ATP Italian Open title last year? Novak Djokovic is the defending champion.
- Are there any seeded players at the ATP Rome Masters? Yes, there are 32 seeds in this tournament.
Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!