Alexei Popyrin vs Karen Khachanov prediction and odds: Japan Open 2023

Alexei Popyrin vs Karen Khachanov prediction and odds: Japan Open 2023
Photo by Icon sport

Neither Popyrin nor Khachanov had a significant success last week in Shanghai and will have a lot to prove this week at the Japan Open. Popyrin has never defeated the Russian, but maybe that time has finally come. Get the latest tennis betting tips and predictions here.

Our favourite Alexei Popyrin vs Karen Khachanov predictions

Both players won a title this season which means they are ready to go deep at the Japan Open. Still, there is place in the second round for only one of them.

Alexei Popyrin +3.5 games @ 7/10 (1.70)

There is no doubt that Khachanov is the better overall player but he has recently returned from injury. He proved that he is back in shape but still not 100% ready. Popyrin is playing well on this surface and will have a standing chance in this match. The Australian may not win this one but will most likely cover the +3.5 games spread.

First set over 9.5 games @ 3/5 (1.60)

Both previous matches between these two went all the way to the deciding game in the final set, so there is no doubt this will be another tough tennis battle. Both players have strong serves that they can rely on and there will not be many break points in this match. That’s specifically for the opening set as both player will be fresh and ready.

Alexei Popyrin vs Karen Khachanov odds

According to the odds, Khachanov is the favourite to win the game, with a 69% win probability. Meanwhile, the bookies give Popyrin 31% chance to win the match.

How many titles Popyrin and Khachanov have won?

Popyrin has won only two ATP titles, this year in Umag and in Singapore in 2021. Khachanov has been more successful with 5 titles, and three of those came in 2018 including the Paris Masters.

Alexei Popyrin

Popyrin is 41st in the rankings only one spot shy from his career high. The Australian is 34-26 for the season and 16-14 on hard.

Last week in Shanghai, he lost to Matteo Arnaldi in the opening round, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, which was his third straight first round loss.

Besides winning the title un Umag this season, Popyrin reached the quarterfinals in Cincinnati, Phoenix, Manama and Adelaide.

Karen Khachanov

Khachanov is currently 15th in the ATP rankings, and his career high is No. 8 in the world. The Russian is 28-14 for the season and 18-9 on hard surface.

Khachanov lost to Grigor Dimitrov 7-6, 6-4 in the second round in Shanghai last week.

His best result this season was the title in Zhuzhai a couple of weeks ago. He also reached the semifinals at the Australian Open and in Miami.

Popyrin vs Khachanov head to head

Khachanov won both previous matches against Popyrin and both of those were won in the decisive tie break. Last year, in the opening round in Rotterdam, Khachanov won 6-7, 6-1, 7-6 and in the second round of the 2021 ATP Dubai, the score was 6-4, 3-6, 7-6.

Alexei Popyrin vs Karen Khachanov
Photo by Icon sport

Key match details

  • Venue: Coloseum Arena
  • Date & time: Tuesday, 17th of October, 04:30 GMT
  • Where to watch in UKAmazon Prime

Subscribe to Punditfeed on Google News for all the latest updates from the world of sports!